Friday 24 May 2013

The Great Gatsby

Last night, my friend Georgia and I followed a few yummy plates of Sushi with a trip to the cinema to see the much hyped, glitzy, blinged up, Great Gatsby. Initially it did take a bit of time to adjust to Jay-Z's pumping beats set against the glittering 20's backdrop but as soon as I did, I actually surprised myself by quite enjoying the movie, being swept up in the hip-hop-jazz vibes. The beginning and end had the addition of being set in a sanatorium with the narrating character Nick as a recovering alcoholic, but with a few frivolous scene boosters, the story was pretty spot on and as long as you can see past the fruity tan of Leonardo Di Caprio, the actors seemed to be pretty well cast. I liked the fact that the original book cover illustration by Francis Cugat, which Fitzgerald had written into the book as he loved it so much, made an appearance on several occasions.


No comments:

Post a Comment